RED DEER DANISH CANADIAN CLUB
2022 Bursary Recipients:
Abagayl Wilmot is enrolled in Pre-Bachelor of Science/B.Ed at the University of Lethbridge. She is a graduate of Lacombe Composite High School. Abagayl has a passion for dancing and has received many awards for her ballet, tap, and contemporary dancing.
Jordyn Burgar attended Ecole Notre Dame High School in Red Deer. Since graduating, she has earned a degree in Psychology and is currently pursuing an after-degree in the nursing program at the University of Calgary. She was a student athlete hockey player both at RDC and U of C. Her Danish and Icelandic roots can be traced back to her great great grandfather who played an instrumental role in developing the Icelandic community in Markerville.
Thomas Chauvet is enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Kinesioogy program at the University of Alberta after graduating from Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School in Red Deer. His forte is volunteering – student council, coaching basketball, organizing intramurals, yard work at his church, and even doing yard care for an elderly neighbour. In his spare time, he enjoys skiing, camping and hiking.
The Red Deer Danish Canadian Club provides up to eight $1,000 bursaries to future scholars of our community each casino cycle . Funding for the bursaries comes from the proceeds of our casino held approximately every three years. Successful applicants should:
- At time of graduation from high school, reside in the City of Red Deer or
within a 100 km radius of the city.
- Be a high school graduate with proof of above average academic standing.
- Provide at least two written personal references attesting to character &
suitability for post secondary studies.
- Provide proof of registration in a program at a post secondary institution
and a brief description of the program.
- Provide a cover letter stating reasons for requesting the scholarship. This
letter should also describe personal interests, hobbies, and future goals.
- Be prepared to make a presentation at the Annual General Meeting of the
Red Deer Danish Canadian Club following course completion.
- Provide information pertaining to financial need (if applicable)
The Board of Directors of the Red Deer Danish Canadian Club will meet to determine eligibility of all applicants. In addition to the criteria listed above, other considerations may include:
- Studies involving Danish Culture and/or Language programs in Canada or
Denmark will be given higher priority.
- A scholarship will only be awarded to an individual once.
Applications may be submitted by October 31 each year to:
Red Deer Danish Canadian Club
Red Deer , Alberta
(Please print and submit the form which follows)
RED DEER DANISH CANADIAN CLUB
BURSARY APPLICATION FORM
Year Applying: _______
Name: ______________________________ Age: __________
Address: _______________________ Telephone: __________
Course Description: _____________________________________
Educational Institution: __________________________________
Dates of enrolment: _____________________________________
How did you finance the course? (Check all that apply)
___ Working ___Scholarships
___ Student Loan ___ Parent Help
Applicant’s Signature: ______________________
Application package should include:
* Grade 12 Transcripts * Proof of Registration
* Two Letters of Reference * Cover Letter
* This Cover Sheet
(For Red Deer Danish Canadian Club use)
Date Received: _____________ Reviewed by: _______________________________